19 August 2012

Chivalry is not dead! It is undead. . .

SUBJECT: Zombie Knight
MANUFACTURER: Tartar Miniatures
ITEM #: TRB200-33
SCALE: 1/9 (200mm)
CASTING MEDIUM: PUR
# of PIECES: 1
Sculptor: Sergey Savenkov
REFERENCES: N/A

KIT REVIEW: I always liked TM's European Knight, l. 14th-e. 15th c. (TRB200-22), but as you might imagine, while it was well done, it fell short of the mark for me. Nine months later, the sculptor of the historical bust has provided us with a medieval zombie (actually, a revenant) par excellence! And the brush-work of the most talented Sergey Popovichenko put this one well beyond the reach of most mortal painters!!! What can I say? I love a challenge!

As a one-piece bust, there is really not much to review. And there is no pedestal either! This is not a deal breaker for me, as I tend to rework--or resculpt!--most of the pedestals supplied with busts, but I mention this in the interest of full-disclosure to those who might take the inclusion of such a piece for granted. I have already sculpted a pedestal for our reanimated man-at-arms.

Casting quality is VG. Air bubbles are relatively numerous, but none of these are in critical areas. In fact, you might want to carefully deliberate whether or not to fill the holes on a per item basis: this is after all, a revenant!

All in all, if you want to challenge your painting skill-set, in whatever medium, I can enthusiastically recommend this release. Hopefully I will have some time at the bench in the relatively near future when I can begin to bring this piece back from its peaceful rest. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment