09 December 2012

"Broken" - The setting #2

This weekend has been pretty much of a write-off for everything, so I decided to get a bit of unpleasantness out of the way, and get the "groundwork" primed and undercoated, and moved
to the painting bench. As I am reluctant to subject the grate to any heat stress, the primer and black lacquer undercoat should be well-cured by the time I subject the grate to the metallic lacquers, graphite, oil washes, and rust weathering. Stay tuned. . .

UPDATE - 10.12.2012. . . The  groundwork is now assembled! To test the bonding of the lacquer- based primer and undercoat to plastic, metal and wood, I began "colouring" the grate last night. Nothing extravagant or harsh, simply controlled applications of graphite, highlighted with Polly-S metallics (Oxidized Al, Graphite, and Pewter), and then toned with MIG pigments. Upon my return from work, I realized that the grate was in fact ready to attach permanently. Admittedly, this means that I would be limiting my approach to the final finishing, but why not?!

First I simulated the wet surface beneath the grate with Liquin Light. This provides a nice reflective surface that bounces the light off the grid of the grate, creating a subtle sparkle. After that was done to my satisfaction, I glued the grate in place with 5-minute epoxy. While there are still some final finishing and details to be addressed, the groundwork and the display base are essentially done!

No comments:

Post a Comment