22 January 2013

Catwoman and 'Pod -- The End

Always follow your instincts. . .

Back in August, in my review of the larger Pod's smaller predecessor, I mentioned that the 1/25th scale version "looks decidedly better than the TBR 1/18th scale version with Selina Kyle! I am hoping that the final production version far outshines the prototypes!!"

Sadly, it did not. By way of recap, not only were all the pitfalls found in the original 1/25th scale kit still present, but. . . 
  • sink marks and "soft" details are much more prevalent on this kit.
  • the tires came with dimpled sink marks on one side; and on one of them, the polyvinyl was "blistered" on the defective side, while on the other, the bead was deformed.
  • the instructions had numerous errors--more than on the 1/25th!
  • and, finally, as I pointed out in my initial review, "the figure [is] beautifully cast in resin; but if you expect to build it straight OOB, then think again. Don't get me wrong: the fit is near-perfect, and the castings near-flawless, BUT. . . this is not a particularly well-designed, sculpted, or detailed miniature--think Marx toys, [early Elastolin,] or low/mid-end polystyrene. In fact, unless you are willing to invest a considerable amount of time, research, and effort, it would be best to forget about Selina and enjoy the Pod as a stand-alone model." I left out the laundry list of required correc- tions in my initial review, planning to address these as they came up in the build; but alas, that will now not come to pass.
I provisionally mounted Selina to the Pod to see how the "handlebars" lined-up given that I had modified a boot. My boot modification was seamless: no alteration of the original fit whatsoever! And herein lies the rub: the original fit. Or rather, the original design of the grips: the hands are not protected at all and half the forearm is exposed!!! This was the proverbial straw.

I have not filed this in the circular file cabinet, as I might be sufficiently demented one day to attempt to make it right acceptably better--it would take more time and effort than it's worth to make it right. But they--both of them--have been removed from the bench. And for the time being, that means: out of sight, out of mind. Or at least I hope so. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment