24 February 2013

CMON's Steampunk Princess - Review

Now for the full review. . . There was no way I was going to let this bust slip by me. Given its eminently reasonable price-point, this has got to be one of the best bargains currently on the market!

As I mentioned in my intro posting, the 1/9th scale bust was sculpted by Carlos Vaquero, based on the design by Björn Hurri. Curiously, I have seen but a single build-up painted in white. . . which must mean most people are not making the Star Wars connection; don't want to tackle white; and/or simply don't care. And that is fine. . . I have seen some stellar (no pun intended!) painted examples, which goes great lengths to illustrate the versatility of this exciting piece.

The bust is exquisitely cast in 7 pieces. On my sample there was a bit of mold shift on the left side of the head/torso unit, but nothing that can't be dealt with readily. As I intend to make some mods to my rendition, I was perfectly satisfied to receive a less than perfect casting--and lest too much be read into the latter, that was the ONLY "flaw" in the casting: no small feat when the gun itself is cast in 4 pieces! My only regret is that the head was not cast separately; but for the overwhelming majority this will not be an issue.

I am still not sure of CMON's arrangement with Vaquero, but there was no indication that this was in any way a limited edition. Nonetheless, I stand by my original conclusion: ". . . if you're interested, I would suggest acting soon--if not now!"!

No comments:

Post a Comment