04 February 2013

"Loyaulte me lie" (2)

I'm sure many of you are already aware of today's official announcement by the University of Leicester: the identity of a skeleton discovered by an archaeological team in a Leicester car park has been confirmed, beyond reasonable doubt, as being that of Richard III, King of England. Richard was the last English king to die in battle; and the only English king to do so on English soil since Harold II at Hastings in 1066.

I read the first "spoilers" late last night; and this morning, I rushed to the computer for what I hoped would be a resounding confirmation--AND IT WAS!!!

It's a GREAT day for all medievalists, and certainly all Ricardians. I just hope the inevitable squabble over where to inter the body will be kept to a minimum. It is time that he truly rest in peace. . .

FOLLOW-UP. . . He is to be interred early next year in Leicester Cathedral:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9847738/Richard-III-to-be-re-interred-in-major-ceremony-at-Leicester-Cathedral.html

2 comments:

  1. Hi Augie,

    I couldn't agree more!! After more than 500 years let his remains "finally" rest in peace.

    As a fellow Richardian I'm thrilled he has been found. Today is a remarkable day in no small thanks to technology.

    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technology, will, and an uncompromising resolve.

      I am aghast at the self-serving "counter-spin" the modern so-called medieval historians have foisted upon the entire process; but such is the state of affairs in academia nowadays. I guess it just wasn't quantifiable, or sufficiently abstract. . .

      The discipline of History is being redefined--and not for the better. . .

      Delete