24 February 2013

Steampunk Leia -- Prepwork: Phase (1)

I will save unveiling my plans for this piece until I launch the painting thread; but for now I can say it will be an homage to Luke's twin-sister.

My first step was to remove 2/3 of the left arm as sculpted. The near-symmetrical approach with the arched pose just didn't work for me; in fact it was a needless distraction that drew ones attention away from the focal point of the bust. I could say the same thing of the position of the pistol/right arm, but I will have to wait until the gun is fully assembled before deciding whether any repositioning will be required. 

Next I removed the head. The head is cocked at an unnatural angle, and this very nearly was a deal-breaker! But given the presence of a choker, it is easy enough to fix--and I would have had to remove the head in any event for one of the mods planned. The head is now pinned (1/8" solder) and is awaiting repositioning.

That's it for now. I have a little bit more research to do before breaking out the putty, and then. . .

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment