26 April 2013

"It's Here. . . IT'S HERE. . . HERE!!!"

It has been an eventful week. . . First, I break out the oils on a piece that most thought probably would never see the light of day--or a full moon! And yesterday I received a kit that has been discontinued by the manufacturer, or rather, put on hiatus for the foreseeable future: Industria Mechanika's (hereafter iM) 1/8 scale (that's "monster scale": in human scale, it's approximately 1/6!) Frankenstein.

For those who want it short and sweet: if you like the subject matter, then don't hesitate. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED! MSRP is--was--US$190; it is available for US$200 at the one shop where the subject of this review was acquired. As I mentioned, it is no longer available from iM: the first edition of 50 issues is now closed. If you are seriously interested in acquiring this piece, and you've exhausted all options, please drop Michael Fichtenmayer a line (http://industriamechanika.com/blog/contact-us/) in the hopes that he receives enough commitments to warrant a second edition.

And now for the unabridged version. . .

I received issue 27/50, Edn 1, as inscribed on the label of the sturdy self-folding container. The box not only provides all the protection the contained gem might require, but it will be in use long after this kit is completed. One thing I will say for iM: the presentation is as thoughtful and professional as the marketed work. For those that might be familiar with BaneBeasts, it is very reminiscent of their presentation.

The moment of truth. . . the box is opened. . . and inside are the following:
  • 53 exquisitely cast pieces (including the groundwork base) protected by bubble-wrap, self-sealing bubble-wrap envelopes, and zip-lock pouches, depending on the size of the item/s to be protected.
  • a section of mail
  • a length of brass chain
  • color assembly guide--which was the source for the parts list I compiled. . .
The green highlighted pieces are what have been dry-assembled and currently on my bench. The greyed-out strikethroughs are pieces that I have elected not to incorporate in my rendition.
Piece no. 49 was omitted from the instructions as well as the itemized parts in the latter.
 
Make no mistake about it. . . this is A BEAST!!! Helmeted, it stands approximately 12" tall, on a base that is approximately 9" in diameter--and there is very little dead space!

The quality of the castings is exceptional! No critical flaws anywhere, and the few air voids present are on the attachment pegs, not the pieces themselves. As an added bonus, the quality of the resin is superb! I don't know if there were options to be had, but Michael nailed it. While a LARGE kit, it is not uncomfortably heavy. I am guessing that if I had cast it in the resin I usually use, it would have been a pound (or more!) heavier. And the low density resin cleans up and takes to blades beautifully!!! In my experience, the closest analogy would be a fine soapstone (this kit) to marble (other kits). I got a seamless join between torso and hips with a few passes of the #12 blade.

It is really beautifully engineered: even a beginner could assemble this monster provided he/she follows the illustrated instructions! With the uncompromising fit, you can virtually dry assemble the entire kit without glue! I now have the the entire body on the base on the workbench without a drop of glue. Pretty impressive. . .

My only criticism is that the textured metal surfaces created by the 3D sculptor leave something to be desired (read: overdone!). It is neither rough from the forge, nor is it "finished". Rather, it is texture for the sake of avoiding an unbroken surface at all costs. While it might give the more intrepid modeler a reason to try different finishes, I feel it is potentially a source of confusion and distraction.  Regardless, it is easy enough to remedy if one is so inclined. I for one will invest the time.

So there you have it, my review of my "2013 Project". I am delighted that my patron was as enraptured by this compelling design as I was--and that we managed to find one! This may be my first iM kit, but it will not be my last. In fact, I will be receiving my second one in less than a month! Lots of exciting products in the works!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment