06 April 2013

QS Hyde - Benchnotes

Whilst I think this is an inspired bust--why else would I have bought it?--I feel the shoulders are too wide, too massive, creating a top-heavy look that throws the piece off-balance. Easy enough to address. . .

As I was removing the wedges of the upper arms, I discovered two things:
  1. The bust is cold-cast marble/porcelain, one of my favorite mediums!
  2. The bust is roto-cast; i.e., it is hollow!
The latter is not a problem: I filled the cavity with 100cc of PUR. As I said, there is nothing about this bust that is problematic; but if you are inclined to "personalization" as I am, you should be aware of the potential potholes before you.

BTW, this unpainted version is a limited edition: I received #2/32. 

Back to the bench!

No comments:

Post a Comment