24 April 2013

Remember Divio Juckal? Painting (III): Flesh

About 15(!) months ago, I decided to shelve a project that, up to that point, was proceeding quite splendidly. And in a rare (for me!) urge to paint while the days get longer and the temperatures warmer, that same project is now front and center on the painting bench!

I've decided to go well off the beaten path with this one. Glazing with "wet palettes" using linseed oil as my "solvent". Instead of opaque/semi-opaque earth tones for the flesh tones, I've opted for transparency, resorting to the opaques only in the deepest shadows--or where I want to create a tonal light trap or an emphatic gradient. You get the idea. . . I'm having fun, where the only thing that matters is the realization of a vision.  

The flesh is now approximately 70% done. The only unpainted areas that remain are the left leg and the hands.

As to images, that might have to wait until [well after?] the piece is completed. First of all, the linseed oil sheen is too "hot". Secondly, I plan to enter this piece in the Road to the Crystal Brush Qualifier at CMON Expo, and I have yet to receive an answer re: the extent of pre-Show exposure permissible. Finally, my camera is currently on its last leg, and I don't know if it is up to the task.

More to follow!

1 comment:

  1. Augie,

    I'm very excited to see your vision for Divio. Your change of pace style sounds very intriging!

    I'm happy to hear you are going to enter him in the CMON Expo contest, too!! I know he will be a "knock-out"!! Good luck with him.

    I will keep a close eye on the blog to look for wore................

    Keep up the GREAT work!!

    ReplyDelete