16 May 2013

iM's "Freaky Gothic" (1/8th scale)

Michael was kind enough to let me know that my order of this highly-anticipated kit shipped on Monday and I am delighted to announce that it is now in my hands (issue 23/50, Edn 1)!!!

The subject was Inspired and based on original concept art (2005) by Calum Alexander Watt, and was 3D-sculpted by David Richardson, the man responsible for DWC's Judge Dredd."Freaky Gothic" was apparently Mr. Watt's title for this piece, and "he was some sort of alien trapped sometime in the 1800's." Well, if I might indulge my historical leanings, I would narrow it down to the half century between 1790 and 1840. But I digress. . .

Presentation is top notch! While the box itself is of a lighter weight than we might expect, this is absolutely not an issue provided the shipping box is sturdy enough--and mine certainly was! Moving on to the contents, Michael's packaging is exemplary! The contents are carefully bagged and wrapped in bubble-wrap, and the pipe is taped to a sturdy cardboard backer to avoid the inevitability of Mr. Murphy.

The kit is comprised of 25 for-the-most-part exquisitely cast pieces, including the base: you can see the kit breakdown here. Note: the breakdown only shows 24 pieces; this is the extra piece...


While the kit virtually builds itself (the engineering and production design is inspired! FYI--the height from soles to eyes is 8.5"/~215mm), my issue falls significantly short of being hassle-free. Firstly, there are at least four instances of problematic mold shift--one of them straight down the shorter barrel section of the "wall gun". Nothing that a little patience and careful planning / execution won't readily correct, but it will certainly challenge the skills of less-experienced figure modellers.

There is also a problem with incomplete fills along the thinner sections of the lapels, the knee closures of the culottes, etc. While there are a myriad of ways to address the issues, care must be taken not to exacerbate the problem by breaking through the paper-thin backing that is there. It might be problematic for a less-experienced--or heavy-handed!--miniaturist.

Before closing, I can honestly deem this kit "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!" The concept and design are brilliant; and the casting, save for the noted exceptions, is excellent. But I would say that a slightly above-average level of modelling experience will come in quite handy if confronted with the unexpected.

And finally. . . Finishing options run the gamut!! I am quite anxious to see everyone's take on this ET!!! In the meantime, I have a pretty good idea of what I am going to do. . .

Stay tuned. . . 'cause this figure is now right next to Frank on the bench, and, along with Frank, is slated for completion for early next year!! And just to stoke your curiosity, the magnificently cast(!) bicorne, the pipe, and the pistol will not be part of my rendition. . .

2 comments:

  1. Augie,

    COOL!1 You got this kit sooner than I thought you would. Your review ,as usual, is very enlightening.
    He is a very interesting subject and I look forward to you exposing your vision for him! :-))
    Well, you sure have a lot to sink your teeth into this summer!! Rock on my man!! I look forward to it all with great interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, brother!

      It's a great kit. Not perfect, but great nonetheless! I literally have him standing next to Frank--no glue!--and the proportions and presence of the piece are stunning.

      As I said, I have a pretty good idea of where I'm going with this one. The challenge, as always, is pulling it off. And much of that will depend on the colour scheme--I want it to be at least historically plausible, but still true to the subject. That's all I'm gonna say for the moment . . . ;-)

      He and Frank are my two main projects for the balance of 2013. Everything else will be as time permits. . .

      Have a good one, my man. Time to go get ready for tomorrow. . .

      Delete