17 May 2013

iM's "Freaky Gothic" - Prep & Assembly (1)

I REALLY DO LIKE THIS KIT!!!

As I mentioned in my review, there certainly are issues that must be dealt with; but, they are no worse. . . check that, they are significantly easier to deal with than some of my more recent experiences. In fact, it is ironic that some of my recent travails have provided an excellent preparation for some of the testier areas of the current project.

To date, I have assembled about 10% of the kit: R leg and shoe; and collar to the coat. These are virtually no-fill assemblies provided you don't rush it and adequately prepare the mating surfaces.

I have also begun to plot out my personal take on this kit. As I indicated earlier, the bicorne, the pipe, and the pistol will not be part of my rendition. I have also shortened, based on Calum's original concept art, what I will refer to throughout as the "wall gun". The way the gun was engineered, it lends itself quite readily to this type of modification: while I ultimately decided against it, I briefly entertained converting it to a carbine!

Speaking of the gun, the only real disappointment of this kit is in the lock mechanism! At first glance, it appears to be a some sort of flintlock; but the original design is more suggestive of an early caplock. Regardless, as the devil is in the details, most of the work on this project will revolve around the gun.

All in all, a good start! Back to the bench. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment