12 May 2013

Nabu the Wise

One of the things that I love about this hobby is the momentum generated by the completion of a project! With Frankenstein still weeks away from being ready for priming, and Creoda awaiting spares that will have to be reworked extensively, I wanted a relatively quick little project to get ready.

Smart Max figures are infectious! They are an absolute joy to paint, and very amenable to "personalization". Hence, why I decided to pull out my casting of Yateem (more pics available here). I picked up Yateem with the sole purpose of converting it to a steampunk version of Dr. Fate--I even gave the war mandrill to my lady! But upon recent further reflection (I began thinking about this about a week ago), I decided to take it back to the "source" and make him Nabu the Wise, Lord of Order: same work, just a different title.

This is a masterfully-executed piece by the most-talented Allan Carrasco (see Garde des nécropoles). The kit is comprised of 11 pieces + the standard Smart Max plinth: 4 of the pieces make up the mandrill (if they had done a hamadryas baboon [pedantic sidebar: given the ibis- crested helmet--the ibis being associated with the god Thoth, the indicated primate is a hamadryas baboon! Especially as mandrills are found in western equatorial Africa, and are tropical forest dwellers...] or a gelada, it would still be mine!), with the remaining 7 going to make up Yateem. This is a very petite figure--overall height is just over 50mm! I was fortunate to get an excellent casting: there are but 3-5 air-holes to be dealt with and these are in non-critical areas. Truly Smart Max production at its best!

This is about as small as I can go anymore on a figure, and fortunately there are no eyes to done! I would love to see the subject in a more heroic scale, but I am more than happy to settle with this.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment