23 June 2013

The Vulture -- Prepwork: Phase (2)

And so it begins. . .

The bust is now stripped. And save for the glaring blue-green "shims", it is a beautiful creamy off-white.

Once it is dry, the next step will be to carefully remove the cured adhesive filler. Depending on the degree of adhesion to the substrate, this could be a rather lengthy process akin to removing the matrix from a fossil. We'll see. . .  

And once that is done, I will then prepare the respective mating surfaces to ensure and maximize the stability and permanence of the bond.

This might seem like much ado about nothing, but I have always guided myself by the adage of "garbage in, garbage out". This is my canvas; and the painting will only ever be as good as its canvas.

More to follow. . .

FOLLOW-UP. . . Not bad. . . Not bad at all! 90%+ of the "matrix" has been removed, and I am well on my way to refinishing this bust. 

The fit of the wings sans adhesive leaves much to be desired, and I can certainly see why such a generous amount of adhesive filler was used! Optimizing the fit of the wings will likely be the most onerous aspect of this project; but once done, everything else should fall into place quite nicely.

Movin' right along. . .  

FOLLOW-UP (2). . . The bust is now free of any adhesive filler, and fit optimization can begin in earnest. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment