12 July 2013

Red Skull [FF] #4 --Introduction & Kit Review

Given that I am immersed in working with the Dead Reich busts, it should come as no surprise that I would gravitate to my favorite Marvel Nazi, Johann Schmidt, better known as "The Red Skull".

I have completed 2 renditions of the Red Skull, both major conversions: a full figure and a bust. I have 2 other full figures underway; and I have one bust waiting patiently in the [extended] wings. I don't want o get sidetracked with a major project, so I thought I would start playing with something a bit less involved. . .

Enter ST Models' Oberst iG Claus Schenk, Graf von Stauffenberg. I stumbled across this beauty of a kit at the Atlanta Show this year, and I immediately grabbed it: this is a perfect base for a Red Skull conversion!

The figure was sculpted by SEO Ho, and though it scales out to a just about perfect 90, it should be noted that this is quite a petite figure that will be dwarfed by just about any commercial "90mm" offering!

The kit is comprised of 8 pieces + groundwork. As my sample was one of the first hundred issues (16/100), I also received a complementary 3-piece bust of von Stauffenberg, which is nothing more than a "cut-down" of the full figure.

The pieces are exquisitely cast! Superb resin; no air holes/bubbles whatsoever; and seam-lines, while there, have to be diligently looked for--once found, they are simply lightly scraped, or wet- sanded. The only negative re: the casting is the location of the sprues at the shoulders. These are butted against the shoulder-boards, and it will take a light touch to remove them without damaging the latter: FWIW, I removed both in less than 5 minutes! 

THE PROJECT
As with any Red Skull project, the conversion is a relatively simple one, provided the base figure is up to snuff. The entire project essentially revolves around the resculpting--or replacement--of the kit's head with that of a--THE--Red Skull. I haven't decided what I am going to do this go- round as of yet. . .

The left hand (holding the briefcase) will be reworked to have it hold the RS's skull-handled swordstick.

The optional gloved right hand. . . Not really sure what to do with it. . . It could be reanimated to have it holding a cigarette in a cigarette holder; but I might rework the entire arm to have it holding the Cosmic Cube. . .

Beyond that, most of the work will be enhancements of a cosmetic nature, requiring little if any actual conversion work. Von Stauffenberg was a Heer officer, so there will be some work chang- ing his army insignia (specifically the collar tabs) to that of an SS officer -- an SS-Standarten- führer to be precise. The figure is rather sparse in the insignia department, so I will add -- at the very least -- the EK2 ribbon, and the RK.

In the interest of full-disclosure, it should be noted that the figure is wearing a single-breasted leather trenchcoat--as best as I can tell, a StriWa (Striegel & Wagner?) trenchcoat.

To date, I have already removed all of the sprues, and pegged the boots at knee and sole. The one significant drawback to this figure is that there should be a distinct attachment point of the boots to the knees: as it is, extra care needs to be taken to ensure that the position of the feet are just right.

More to follow. . .

FOLLOW-UP 13.07.2013. . . I have decided that the head of the subject will be modelled using an Andrea 90mm skull as the base. It will have to be modified to varying degrees, but it is an excellent jumping-off point for an undertaking such as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment