09 January 2014

Why is the rum always gone. . . ?. . .

AAAARRRRRGGGH!

Some of you are thinking (and quite correctly, I might add), "Uh-oh. . . Augie is attempting to escape the freezing cold by reminiscing about the warm, crystal clear waters of the Caribbean. And when Augie starts thinking about the Caribbean, invariably a pirate or two find their way onto the workbench. . . "

Yes, it has been numbingly cold, but save for the extreme of Monday morning, it has been quite enjoyable. BUT, what has prompted this tack into the historical winds is the fact that we are but a little over a fortnight away from the premiere of STARZ' original series, Black Sails !

I could have unburied any number of in-progress works of a piratical theme, but I decided to pick- up Verlinden's bust of Caesar. It is marketed as a 1/9th scale (200mm) bust, but it is actually more at 1/8th (250mm). It is beautifully cast (I found but one small air bubble) in 5 pieces: head, torso, knots (x2), and the pedestal. A length of copper wire for the ear rings is also included. Clean-up is pretty much a cinch (read: minimal), and the bust simply falls together effortlessly! Unless there is some VERY rude surprise lying in wait for me, this is probably the best US$20 I have spent in a LONG time!

As to its historicity, I would say acceptable. While the costume is minimal, generic, and some- what stereotypical, it is hardly incorrect. And of course there were pirates of African descent in the Americas: most notably a Black Caesar, who served as a lieutenant under Blackbeard on the Queen Anne's Revenge.

So . . . if I were inclined to pursue a historical tack, this offering would certainly fit the bill! But as of this writing, my intention is in the arena of the quasi-historical. And you will soon see what I am talking about. . .

Fair winds!

No comments:

Post a Comment