21 February 2014

Jon Snow -- Prepwork 1

I am a great admirer of Alfonso Gozalo's work. He has created some real gems for the likes of Andrea and Knight Models, to name but two. That being said, this particular piece cannot be counted amongst those stellar offerings.

The likeness of Jon Snow (as portrayed by Kit Harington) is, at best, arguably passable. With a little work and some careful painting, however, a more-than-acceptable likeness, far superior to what is provided, can be achieved.

Where this piece utterly fails are the anatomical proportions--linear and volumetric! If you are not prepared to undertake some relatively advanced corrective measures, then I would strongly sug- gest not acquiring this figure--unless, of course, you have no intention of ever building/painting it.

To date, I have begun reducing the length of the head; I also intend to add volume to the face. I have also removed both legs at the knees and reduced their length by 3-5mm.

As I said, this is a "Dr. Doom" project. Unlike that disaster, however, this piece could be ready for priming in less than 4 weeks--it won't be, but it could be! 

More to follow. . . 

UPDATE 22.02.2014. . . I have decided to re-detail/resculpt the doublet.

No comments:

Post a Comment