24 March 2014

Ser Vardis Egen--The Head/Face

The reinforcing plate attached to the bevor that will seamlessly accommodate the upper bevor (lower half of the split-visor) is now 90% finished, and the helmet has been reduced once again to its component pieces. 

Before I can continue embellishing our otherwise plain great bascinet/quasi-close helmet, I must first address--gulp!--the head, specifically the face. None of the heads/faces of the Imai knights are particularly commendable, but that of Friedrich I is one of the worse! Ironically, it is a pretty good base of a decent likeness of Joffrey Baratheon, but little else. I first ground out the orbital sockets to allow me to sculpt the eyeballs, lids, etc. I then glued the two halves together, waited about five minutes, and packed the hollow head with MS. I can now 1) peg the head; 2) grind to my heart's content. 

Before calling it a day, I roughed-in the facial landscape with my leftover MS, letting myself be guided by GRRM's description of Ser Vardis: a "square, plain face. . ."

More to follow. . .  

UPDATE 25.03.2014. . . The face is now over halfway done. I am using Dino de Laurentiis and Bernard Hill as my facial references. I have also pegged the head, and tapped the baseplate of the helmet to accommodate the mounting peg.  The next step will be to build-out the lining/ padding of the helmet. In case you are wondering, the head will be painted in situ.

UPDATE 26.03.2014. . . Save for the eyes, the head is now all-but-done, and curing in the oven. I will hopefully be able to begin work on the helmet lining before the weekend. Movin' right along. . .

UPDATE 27.03.2014. . . The helmet lining is finished and the head has been fitted. Next up: the final facial landscaping and texturing, before permanently attaching the head and assembling the helmet. The eyes and final detailing will be done with the head in situ.

UPDATE 28.03.2014. . . The head has been permanently attached and the helmet assembled.

No comments:

Post a Comment