28 May 2014

Figone's Colin

The other day, I was reading a fellow miniaturist's blog, when I ran across a bust that immediately struck a chord. The rendition in question was a minor conversion; but the base piece was not credited, hence it took me about 30 minutes to track it down.

The base piece was a delightful 1/12th scale bust titled, Colin, (sculpted by Romain van den Bogaert) in Figone's Fantasy line. Colin is intended to be a caricature of a pirate, and as such is an eminent success--but it is ideally suited to be converted into a much more menacing subject.

If Colin is any indication of the quality of Figone's product line, then this is a manufacturer that has earned--and deserves!--our patronage. The bust is designed in two pieces, and the casting quality and evinced detail is second to none: the castings are flawless! 

As a bust, it should be noted that this is essentially a head study mounted on the top half of a backless torso. I am not a big fan of this approach, but in this case, it serves my purpose to a T: the back has already been rouged-in with MS and is now curing in the oven. Once cured, I will tap the base of the bust, insert a tin-solder mounting rod, and transfer it to its work base.

Before closing, I should point out that as I could not find a retailer on this side of the Pond that carried this particular offering, I ordered it direct from Figone. Their customer service proved to be excellent: I received it today, 10 days after placing the order.

Stay tuned. . . !

UPDATE 30.05.2014. . . I had the opportunity to do a little grinding on this piece this evening. The quality of the resin--as a casting medium as well as a tooling medium--is exceptional!

No comments:

Post a Comment