08 May 2014

The "Red Viper"

You might say that I have been "snakebit" (quite à propos given our subject!) by GoT--but in a good way! The books and their sublime adaptation by HBO are an endless source of inspiration. So much so that it is the prevailing theme in my workshop--and my head!

My latest project is the "Red Viper" of Dorne: Prince Oberyn Nymeros Martell. He is such a compelling character that I have been thinking of ways to depict him ever since I first encountered him. And yesterday, it finally hit me: convert my 1/4 scale bust of Don Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar, El Cid (released by Fort Duquesne in 1999)!


This is almost a match made in heaven! Dorne is very much Andalucía--geographically, climati- cally, and culturally. And Oberyn, like El Cid, is not only a redoubtable warrior, but a captain of fortune. The similarities do not end there. . . quite the contrary. I have to wonder if GRRM's inspiration for the "Red Viper" were any of the peninsular paladins of the Reconquista!

The project is well underway. Mostly, it will be adding things here and there to bring the historical more in line with the fantasy, and then refinishing. I should have close to 80% of the conversion work in-progress by the weekend; but as always the devil is in the details--and there are loads of detail!

Stay tuned. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment