08 June 2014

Tyrion -- Painting (I): Armour - Phase 2

Now comes the fun part!!!

As a miniaturist, chromatic armour has to be one of the most enjoyable--and demanding!--under- takings that we will ever encounter. Successful renderings require that one understands the actual process, and is then able to convert the outcome to miniature--without the use of heat or noxious chemicals!

Before continuing, some of you might be wondering why and how I fast forwarded this step, since in the previous posting I mentioned that I would allow the lacquers to cure for a week before sub- jecting them to the stress of staining. This being quarter-end month, I know full well that I am not in control of my daily schedule, so I decided to accelerate the curing process (overnight in the oven) and jump-in first thing this morning. . .

And the basic russeting is now done! Images will follow as soon as the oils settle. As to the hows, that is for every miniaturist to work out for him- or herself--but if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me and I will attempt to help as best as I am able.

What comes next will probably be more harrowing than the basic russeting, as it will involve the weathering and ageing of the armour. But in the meantime, there is undercoating to be finished!

More to follow. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment