09 June 2014

Tyrion -- Painting (I): Armour - Phase 2A

Part 2 of the russeting is done! And it looks GREAT!! In case you are wondering "how?", yester- day's application was essentially dry by the time I went to bed: I substituted Schmincke-Mussini Casslerbraun, which is an alkyd resin-based paint, for Burnt Umber.

This step addressed the mid-high range highlights of the cuirass, essentially manipulating the light source with mid-range siennas and ochres, and punching these up with transparent orang- es. The final highlighting will take place after the figure is completely assembled and mounted on its display base.

Finally, I began the weathering of the latten trim and the pauldron using a mix of Rembrandt Transparent White and Raw Sienna. Things were going well, so I proceeded with the acrylic "dirty" washes and pigments on the pauldron--PERFECT! The pauldron is now curing in the oven, and I will seal it with Dullcoat before calling it a night to protect the pigments during handling--the pauldron has yet to be permanently attached to the bust.

NEXT: Finishing the undercoating. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment