20 September 2014

Sin - Prepwork V : The Crop

It is now time to zoom-in to the "optionals". First up: the crop. This is extremely well designed and cast; however, the quality of the alloy notwithstanding, the white metal stock is an "accident magnet". I would concur with any counter-argument revolving around the malleability of the metal; nevertheless, I would rather exercise additional caution with handling, transport, and display, than resign myself to the inevitable--and have to deal with it in the aftermath. 

Thus did I replace the stock with a custom-tapered brass rod, drilling into the handle of the crop, as well as the keeper/"popper". I then glued the keeper to the stock, and set it aside to cure. The stock/keeper unit will be glued to the hand/handle unit as part of the final wrap-up.

As a final note, I will test the "grip" of the superglue on the "popper" in the next week or so: it is one piece that I do not want to lose.

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment