05 December 2014

"Mother of Dragons"

About a week ago, I received the monthly Andrea newsletter, and there before my eyes was a figure that they titled, "Dragon Lady". Well, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, and this is the best rendition of Daenerys 'Stormborn' of House Targaryen, First of Her Name at her defining moment that I have seen to date! If you read the postings, comments, and "critiques" on other sites, it will be obvious rather quickly that I am in a distinct minority--albeit an informed one.

And Daenerys arrived today! She was listed in my letter to Santa, and 'Santa', in all her generous wisdom, presented her to me early.

The kit is comprised of 4 white-metal pieces (one-piece Daenerys + Drogon, Rhaegal, and Vise- rion) + the wm groundwork. The castings are pristine--and in a surprising new twist, have been partially pre-finished. My particular sample appears to be much finer than the one Andrea used in their Unboxing video--but let's keep in mind that the figure is significantly magnified in the video!! Regrettably, the magnification of the piece may have backfired on the folks at Andrea if the pre- vailing comments are any indication. Also the finished example leaves much to be desired: the "Mother of Dragons" deserves better--and more!

I intend to start working on her this weekend. Unless I have overlooked some yet-to-be-seen “rough” spots, it should take no longer than an afternoon and change to get her ready for priming.

All in all, I am very pleased. If you are at all interested, now is the time to act: one piece castings are especially susceptible and conducive to mold deterioration!

Stay tuned!

PS--I forgot to mention that this kit has no byline! I don't quite know what to make of this. . . 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment