15 January 2015

Alas Harrenhal. . .

At the Atlanta Show in 2012, I picked-up Cang the Implacable for my lady from the good folk at Cool Mini or Not. This 10th Anniversary Commemorative Sculpture was designed and sculpted by Pedro Fernández [Ramos], one of the premier miniatures sculptors in the world.

The kit is cast in 20 pieces:
  • Dragon: 12 pcs.- resin
  • Groundwork: 3 pcs.- resin (integral components of the kit)
  • Dragonrider: 5 pcs. - white metal (optional) 

The casting quality overall is VG/VG+; however, fit is problematic and assembly--well, let's just say that this kit is for VERY experienced miniaturists. It will challenge you at every turn and exhaust your modelling back of tricks--pacing and patience are key! That being said, the fact remains that, afaic, this offering sets the bar for dragons in miniature--to a height I don't see many attempting, much less managing, to reach!

So much for the star of this 2015 project. My lady loves dragons, and I wanted to get her the best dragon in miniature on the market--which I obviously did. However, the complexity of this kit is beyond her current skillset and experience levels--hell, it's pushing my limits! And while I am no great lover of dragon miniatures as a rule, it should come as no surprise that I am definitely taken with House Targaryen in GRR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.

To make a long story short, my lady has been gracious enough to let me tackle this beast!  So... in about four weeks--maybe sooner, the fun will begin in earnest!!

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment