05 January 2015

Andrea's "Dragon Lady" -- Reflections II

In a word. . . WOW!

You have all heard me quip countless times that "the devil is in the details". . . Little did I know... 

"The Mother of Dragons" is now effectively done, but she will occupy a place of honour on the painting hutch for at least another week. Why? Simply, because "the devil is in the details"!

This is a very simple figure. The most challenging aspect to some--from all indications--would be simply painting the naked body of the main subject. Unless one has fewer than a dozen or so human figures under one's belt, a nude body should be anything but daunting! However, it will be up to you to make it believable. . . I mean, this is what we do, isn't it? I dunno. . . maybe not??

My approach to this figure has been dictated by a scene lasting decidedly less than 5 minutes at the closing of the final episode of Season 1 of Game of Thrones (Ep. 10: Fire and Blood). I don't believe I could ever tire of watching this scene. In a word, powerful! But I digress. . . A critical part of successfully pulling-off this vignette is exhaustive research. If you haven't seen it, or you don't have HBO, etc., worry not: everything you need is at your fingertips on the Web. I'm sure if the painter of the marketing sample had spent a little more time doing his/her research, he/she, to say nothing of Andrea, would have been spared the vitriol that this figure has generated. I can only hope that the vocal "few" are not indicative of the prevailing sentiment re: this figure.

My goal with this piece was to capture that on-screen moment in all its glory in scale. I was less concerned with painting technique and precise application; and more concerned with painting effect. Every application of paint was a critical means to the ultimate end. . . if it wasn't, it was wiped/brushed off, and I would reassess. And reapply. . . mostly within the hour; but sometimes the following day--or longer! 

And let's not talk about touch-ups! Let me just say that they are ongoing as I write. As always, the vision must be realized! From Emilia Clarke's likeness, to Drogon's blotchy and striped hatch- ling colouration, to the lay-out of the remains of the pyre, all are critical elements that will hope- fully yield a synergistic jackpot!

I am not there yet, but I am getting closer. Weathering in earnest should begin by the weekend-- and I cannot wait! 

I have been lucky of late in that every figure I have worked on has been an absolute joy! Challeng- ing, stimulating, thought-provoking. . . the hobby, the practical aspect of the hobby, has more than lived up to its promise--and my expectations!--in the last 2 or so years. But I guess it's not really about the figure, is it? You will get out of it whatever you are willing to put into it. 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment