17 January 2015

Captain America--STRIKE Stealth Suit - Painting (III) - Oils, pt.1

IT. . . HAS. . . BEGUN. . .

With less than 4 weeks to go, I will be the first to admit that getting Cap done in time for opening night registration is less than a sure thing. So why start it? Well. . . 1) if I don't paint him now, he would more than likely never get painted; and 2) the three-day weekend gives me a significant ad- vantage: if I can get the blue of the suit done to my satisfaction, then there is a very good chance that the smaller bits can get done an hour here, an hour there. We'll see. . .

To this end. . .

12.01.2015 - Irises blocked-in. 
17.01.2015 - Legs (blue) done. The colours used to achieve my mix are as follows: 1:1 mix of Cerulean Blue (Liquitex) + Ivory Black + a touch of Winsor Blue + a touch of Neutral Gray (Li- quitex) [the latter two to taste]. For those using acrylics, I would recommend Reaper's Midnight Blue as your base. Finally, be sure you set aside a good 4-5 hr. block of time to paint the blue portions of the legs. And as with most dark blues, be prepared to revisit your hard work to punch up the highlights, the deep shadows, and the outlining once dry.
18.01.2015 - The Stealth suit (blue portions) is now done! I would set aside 3-4 hrs. for the upper body.

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment