02 March 2015

MDC's Zombie Highwayman

At the Show this year, I was rather taken with a uniquely bizarre bust as rendered by Mike Hall: Model Design Construction's (UK) Zombie Highwayman. Whether or not it is a "walker"/"rider"? (though it definitely could be with some creative input on the part of the end-user!) is neither here nor there; but if you think of it as a "headed horseman" (from Sleepy Hollow, of course!) you would be more in the ballpark.

The kit is packaged in a sturdy black plastic box, with padding for the contents provided by an appropriate amount of bubble-wrap. The contents are comprised of two pieces: the main bust and the cocked hat, both excellent castings from one-piece butterfly molds in a saturated grey resin that is eminently workable. The bust scales out at ~1/6 scale/300mm.

This is a simple fun bust that harkens back to better times--it can certainly be done over a week- end straight OOB. But if you are willing to give your imagination free rein and ponder the options, you might just make the bust your own. I, for one, am definitely to going to explore the possibili- ties. . .  

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

2 comments:

  1. Hi Augie,

    I'm glad to see you got the Highwayman. He is a great little piece. I hope he is all that you hoped he would be. Can't wait to see what you make of him!! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey guy!

      It arrived yesterday, and it was all I had anticipated--and a bit more! As I indicated above, the resin used is amongst the best: combine that with a clean casting, and what more could you ask for?

      I know what I want to do with him, but it will drag this project out considerably. Nonetheless, if I can pull it off, it will certainly be one of a kind! I will refrain from any radical mods on the bust itself until I am convinced that the scratchbuilt portion of the project will bear fruit.

      He's definitely on a front burner. . . !

      Delete