13 March 2015

"Mean Machine" Angel - Painting: Dial 4 -- Fabric and Leather

The design and costume of the figure have prompted me to do a 180° from my normal approach: I am painting MM from the top down. Which means that the upper half of the figure is now in oils, though far from finished. 

At this rate, I am reasonably sure of having all the fabrics in oils by the end of the weekend. This in turn should allow me to have the figure all-but-done in the next 10 days. Depending on how the paint sets, this means that I should be able to begin serious weathering within the fortnight. 

Stay tuned. . . 

FOLLOW-UP 14.03.2015. . . The denims are now done. . . and for the most part weathered. My days of completing any portion of a figure at one sitting are long behind me, I am happy to say. That is not what painting [a figure] is all about: any and every time you change the setting and/or composition of the figure, the figure must be reevaluated and subsequently integrated into or with its new elements.

FOLLOW-UP 15.03.2015. . . The leathers--boots and belt--are now done! And MM has been per- manently mounted on its display base. Hence, I deem this project completed. . . though it still has a week-10 days of "finalizing" to undergo.

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment