04 March 2015

"Pale Rider" - Pre-Prep (I)

As I indicated in my response to Lloyd's gracious comment, I had arrived at my vision of this piece before I ordered it. . . Now the time has come to pay the piper!

This bust will be the foundation piece of  my interpretation of  "the Pale Rider": the fourth Horse- man of the Apocalypse, bka Death. While I will rework the bust itself to some extent (refine the drapery, add eyes, etc.), the lion's share of the pre-prep will revolve around the sculpting of a skeletal hand and then animating it so that it holds a scythe (also scratchbuilt) convincingly.

The hand is about 50-60% done, but I have not even begun to think about the articulation!  I am sculpting the hand in SSF. Once done, I will disarticulate all the bones save the carpals, and reassemble the hand with soft wire or solder: this should provide me with an eminently posable hand.

Back to the bench!

FOLLOW-UP. . . The left eyeball has been roughed-in.
 
When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment