07 November 2015

Sister Sonia - Castle Miniatures' Soeur de Charité

Once upon a time, I conceived of a Papal Order of Demon Hunters. The projected series was launched in March 2000 with the 1/8th scale ff of the Captain-General of the Order, Der Vampyr-jäger. Unfortunately, neither the series nor the story progressed much beyond the initial release, and to this day I consider it one of the few items of unfinished business in my life.

One of the characters in the story was a warrior-nun called Sister Sonia. When Castle Miniatures released the subject bust, I was very tempted to bring Sister Sonia to "life". But I managed to resist the impulse, and all thoughts re: this were soon swept away. . .

Until last week when I found out that a live-action film of the Antarctic Press comic Warrior Nun was in pre-production. This started me thinking about a 3-D representation of the title character, which in turn revived thoughts of Sister Sonia. And today I received Castle Miniatures' 1/8 scale bust, Soeur de Charité.

This is a one-piece resin bust designed and sculpted by Yury Serebryakov. Overall, it is VG+++, though my sample was plagued with a number of small air bubbles throughout the veil. Fortu- nately, these are readily identifiable and very easy to fix: < 20 mins. total.

To date I have removed the rosary/crucifix, started general clean-up, and pegged the bust: as per usual from this manufacturer, no means of display support, whether plinth or rod, is provided. 

Stay tuned!

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment