17 December 2015

Durham Red - Painting: Intermezzo

I was hoping to get a jump on the metallics (read: lacquers) tonight, but "'Tis the Season" indeed: the Blue Meanies at work have overpowered the guards, and are now running the asylum. . . Hav- ing said that, we apparently kept them sufficiently distracted to have Deep Purple voted as a 2016 Rock 'n' Roll HoF inductee. . .  FINALLY!

In lieu of the metallics, I did some follow-up work on the face, and I think that I should be able to wrap it up in two more sessions.

I probably won't break-out the lacquers until Saturday, but I thought I would share with you the prevailing design concept as gleaned from the design notes of the artist, Mark Harrison:  
Although basic black, the [nanosuit] is made-up of contrasting textures: black metal, leather, and overlaying lace.
The representation of the various materials will ultimately be the miniaturist's call; and therein lies the challenge: how to depict the various materials so that they are not only immediately recog- nizable, but artistically/visually cohesive.

I told you it was a fun figure!

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment