01 December 2015

Lawmaster Mk1 - Prepwork IV: Finishing (1)

Yes, I've skipped a step--Prepwork III will deal with the enhancement of the headlights. 

But while I await the arrival of some aftermarket parts, I can begin the finishing work on the Law- master, which is now in a "stripped-down" stage.

I decided to start with the rear two-thirds of the bike. I first primed the seam area with a custom primer: G-S Mr. Surfacer 500 thinned down to where it could be shot through a Badger 200. Per- fect! It actually worked so well that I might use it for final priming!!

After curing the primer in the oven, I assessed those areas that would require additional attention. All in all, not too bad. . . I then applied 2-3 light coats of glazing putty to fill out any surface "irreg- ularities"/imperfections, and placed it in the oven to cure. Now comes the "fun" part: reduction of the putty, and finishing with fine/x-fine sandpaper. This is slow work: do not rush it! When you are done you should have an ultra-smooth, symmetrical, level surface.

I also addressed the seam running the length of the oil pan. . . 

While I am not done by any means, I am certainly more optimistic--and excited!--about the po- tential finish of this kit. NEXT: front fork assembly!

FOLLOW-UP. . . Assembly-wise, the port-side carb stacks are now permanently attached. In order to provide some visual interest, I am planning to replace one of the stacks on the right with brass tubing: an open stack without a wire screen. DONE!

UPDATE 02.12.15. . . With the permanent attachment of the starboard-side carb stacks, the rear two-thirds of the bike is DONE!

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment