01 January 2016

Let the Flamesss of Jussticcce Cleanssse You!

For better or worse, 2016 will see the completion of the Deadworld quartet!

DWC has just announced the imminent release of Judge Fire. While I would normally be hissing my way into gleeful abandon, this one is such a departure from the style we have come to ex- pect, that I am decidedly underwhelmed: it is the first time that one of their 70mm offerings looks like an oversized "mini"!

For obvious reasons, Fire was always to be the challenging one of the four. Back in the day, Rin and I discussed the possibility/plausibility of using clear resin, tinted or un-, to depict the fiery elements and enhance the volume/3-dimensionality of the effect. While I never held much hope that this would be the path taken (cost, qc, etc.), I was certainly expecting a more organic, ele- mental rendition of the flames. As it stands, I am hard pressed to see how this can be painted to create the illusion of fiery consumption. . . At best, it will appear as a victim of tarring & feather- ing using scarlet macaw feathers. . . the Deadworld version of a tlecoyotl!

And then there is the trident. Having sculpted at least three tridents for production, I know all too well what a nightmare they can be. But this one is simply "clunky" in the most unflattering, per- functory way. . .

As of this writing, it looks like I will take a pass and keep the Dark Judges to a solid [as a] rock trio. Once I see the production castings, I may change my mind, and use the figure as the base for a kit-bash using elements from the other Justices. But for now. . .  

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment