19 January 2016

Ned Stark - Painting: Intermezzo (cont.)

In my first installment of this "intermezzo", I overstated the extent of the assembly of this bust: the shadowcat pelt that serves as the collar of the mantle/cloak and the separate, white metal forelock have yet to be attached! 

I never intended to attach the 'collar' until the bust was painted in its entirety; however, my experi- ences over the last few days have forced me to re-evaluate. Thus, the first thing I did when I got home was permanently attach the pelt! In spite of the fact that this will make painting a bit(?) more "awkward", it will also make the finished piece--assuming I do my job--more integrated and visually seamless. Practically speaking, with the pelt in place, I can now control the light and the tonal values as I am painting and not after the fact.

Back to the bench!

UPDATE 21.01.16. . . The attachment of the pelt has proven to be a VERY good call!!! Aside from providing a true 'snapshot' of the bust at any given time, it has proven to be an indispensa- ble "hand rest"/"handle". Just sayin'. . .

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment