07 March 2016

HCFR Technician

This project is a major deviation from the norm on this site, so consider yourselves warned. . .

My "niece", I am delighted to say, is getting married this Fall, and her intended is a firefighter in  Hillsborough County (FL) Fire Rescue (HCFR). I had the opportunity--and pleasure!--to meet him when I was in Tampa last week, and I couldn't be happier for the couple.

When her parents got married some 30 years ago--damn. . . I'm getting old!--I presented the couple with one of my favourite pieces at the time: a Historex conversion of a 15th c. Bernese swordsman. Now, 30 years later, I will be presenting their daughter and her husband with a portrait bust of the latter. I am honoured--and psyched!!!

As of this writing, the project will be based on Young Miniatures' 1/10th scale bust of a FDNY Firefighter at the time of 9/11 (YC1801). This is YM at its best! The kit is comprised of 17 exqui- sitely cast resin pieces (including the support pedestal), and two clear resin visor halves. My on- ly niggle is the fact that the SCBA bottle is off-round, but this is hardly surprising. Whether or not I replace the bottle and harness will depend on what the references I receive indicate. . . 

The project will entail converting a 2001 FDNY firefighter to a 2016 HCFR Technician. Needless to say, work will commence immediately upon receipt of the reference images, and it will be my main project this year. . .

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment