09 May 2016

Back in Black. . .

NutsPlanet's first release in its 1/10 scale Bust line was "Night's Watch", sculpted by Jun-Sik Ahn. This bust dates back to the beginning of 2014 (I acquired my issue in February), and it, along with its other two launch-mates, set the standard for not only the industry, but for what we as the end-user should expect with each and every purchase we make!

The kit is comprised of 4 pieces: head; torso; Longclaw's iconic hilt; and a thematic, scenic dis- play riser/pedestal (nb: I don't know if the thematic riser was continued beyond the first two re- leases). The castings are perfect, and the resin is an absolute joy to work--responding equally well to burr, blade, and/or sandpaper!

"Night's Watch" is a portrait bust of Jon Snow, the [so-called] Bastard of Stark. While the sculpting and finishing are precise and beautifully clean, I am hard pressed to grade the likeness any higher than a C+. The likeness of Jon Snow (as portrayed by Kit Harington) is, at best, pass- able. I would say that mold distortion could be partially at fault here, especially as this was this company's first non-SD release; however, subsequent releases appear to suggest an artistic fault/quirk rather than a procedural one. 

The overwhelming majority of the build-ups I have seen underscore the fact that with a little work and careful painting, an acceptable likeness, superior to what is provided, can be achieved. How- ever, I do not acquire these kits to mask the shortcomings of the sculptor with deft application of paint (read: cosmetic camouflage), or skillful photography. . .

I have chosen to commemorate the resurrection and return of the erstwhile Lord Commander by returning him to my bench. Not by "resurrecting" the vignette that I have invested a considerable amount of time and effort on, but by finally getting around to this bust. . . In the meantime, I have to go find my AC/DC cd's. . . Stay tuned! 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment