11 May 2016

Jon Snow - Prepwork

If one is satisfied with the contents of the box, then prepwork will be nothing more than lightly scraping off some faint seam-lines and achieving a satisfactory join of the riser to the torso. 

I, obviously, am not. In my introductory post, I indicated that the likeness left something to be desired. Actually, there are two significant "issues" with this offering:
  1. The Likeness. . . or, "Is close enough good enough?" Apparently it is; but not for me-- especially as I don't feel it is that close! The problem with this likeness is that it is some- what heavy and too broad ("chubby"); the lips are at once too small and too pursed, rather than full; and the nose is too angular. Fortunately, these "misses" are a rather straightfor- ward and relatively easy fix--although, you will have to reconstruct the rather sparse beard once you are done. Finally, yet another case of a GoT "more is better" hairdo! Even if you do nothing with the face itself, reducing the coiffure--more than you would think!--will signi- ficantly improve the likeness, though it will then open the proverbial can of worms. As of this writing, I am over 80% done. . . 
  2. The Collar. Hmmm. . . During his pre-induction phase at Castle Black, Jon wore the cape with a wolf-skin collar with which he had arrived. Once he was inducted in the Night's Watch, it was replaced by one with a black Highland cattle collar. All build-ups I have seen depict a black collar [nb: if I had elected not to modify the collar, I would have paint- ed it as a pre-induction wolf-skin.]; BUT, the fur/hair provided is on the short-side and wa- vy. NutsPlanet has always played a bit loose and free with their interpretation of certain subjects--and we now see that it has been that way since Day 1! I intend to rework the entire collar and go with a black kyloe (West Highland cattle). . . ~20% done! UPDATE 16.05.16. . . ~65% done. . . 
So much for my TDL. . .  

UPDATE 13.05.16. . . The face/head is all-but-done. There are a few minor tweaks left, plus the final once-over; but otherwise, Jon Snow is in the HOUSE!

The collar is going to slow things down quite a bit. Based on the time required to finish the right front panel, it is going to take an average of 3 days/5 hours per panel, of which four remain. If I were to work on it every day, I am looking at another 2 weeks, give or take, before it can be deemed completed. I am going to shoot for a wrap-up over the Memorial Day weekend. . . 
 
When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment