04 June 2016

Moebius' Death Dealer -- First visual impressions

I was going to "critique" the assembled and finished model based on David Fisher's build-up, but I wanted to wait until the readership had had the opportunity to see the build-up and hopefully read Dave Dorman's incisive comments.

I am right there with Mr. Dorman re: the Hell-mount! There is a volumetric disconnect between the rider and the steed that very nearly ruins the synergy of the piece. Also, some of the "short-cuts" taken by the sculptor (e.g., the mail), and the disregard of the spatial composition and overall "mass"-cum-"presence" of the subject preclude this being a "must have" offering.

That being said, depending on how perceptive ("anal"?) you might be, all this might be much ado about nothing. I will admit that I am not quite as enthused as I was six months ago; but neither am I ready to turn my back on what will undoubtedly be a classic in the history of polystyrene kits! I fully intend to get this kit as soon as it is available, and my saws, cutters, and at least a pound of putty will be ready for the significant and rather intensive restorative surgery that lies ahead. . .

Stay tuned! 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment