19 July 2016

"Hand of the Queen" - Prepwork II: The Doublet

The doublet is the"pedestal", the foundation if you will, for the portrait, hence I will begin by re- working the garment.

The garment as provided is superbly sculpted! It is a perforated and tooled leather shell with silver clasps, covering a patterned fabric lining, This will be reworked to represent black-dyed full-quill ostrich leather.

As I indicated yesterday, I had already removed the "Hand". But before I filled-in the sizeable divot, I began by filling-in the sculpted pattern of the doublet with glazing putty. After applying a medium coat of putty and curing it in the oven, I then proceeded to fill the divot with MS. The MS is now curing. . .

Finally, the "Hand" is over 85% cleaned-up. . . 

More to follow. . .

UPDATE 06.08.16. . . Phase I of the doublet is now done! It took three coats of glazing putty to effectively fill sculpted tooling and establish the foundation for the full-quill ostrich leather. 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment