I am pressed for time, so images will follow at a later date. In the meantime. . .
First things first, I removed Harley's legs just below the hips. I then removed the "popgun", and cut through her left wrist, freeing the left arm.
With Harley prepped, I shifted my focus to the box. Initially, I planned to construct the box out of sheet plastic, but I had a block of resin lying about, and went with that instead, if only because of the thermal stability of the resin. The box will be comprised of three pieces + the spring: box, lid, and crank handle. All but the crank handle are essentially done. The spring was made from a paper clip wrapped around a brass rod.
Back to Harley. . . The arms are thin enough that repositioning can be accomplished by simply bending carefully; ditto for the head. The right hand, however, required pegging, and this is, to say the least, challenging in this scale.
And that's about it. Scratchbuilding the hammer and sculpting the left hand are next in line; but so far, so good. I am still uncertain about how good of a "fit" the jack-in-the-box is, but at least the prop is well underway.
More to follow. . .
UPDATE 03.09.16. . . After pondering on the title of this posting for a few days, it hit me: I am not doing a "bust" of Harley Quinn, but a Harley jack-in-the-box! So forget about the hammer, forget about sculpting a left hand. . . All that was left to do was sculpt a pair of boxing gloves!! The gloves are now well into the final turn before the home stretch. . .
UPDATE 16.04.17. . . The crank handle is now at the finishing stage. 16ga. copper wire for the crank, and MS for the handle. . .
“When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003