20 August 2016

Mista' J - Intermezzo: The Project

A bit of background to this latest 'wild-card' on the bench. . .

Conceptually, the project was inspired by the season finale of TWD: Negan is essentially a post- Apocalyptic Joker. Originally, I planned to replace the walking stick with a DC-esque "Lucille"-- think Harley's bat wrapped in barbed wire. And I may still make that swap. . .

With the figure in hand, and seeing what I had to work with, the possibilities had to be [re-]consi- dered. And any possibility involved Harley: how could I incorporate the Joker's better half without introducing a second full[-sized] figure? In keeping with the theme of manic levity, I decided to explore the inclusion of a Harley Quinn-themed jack-in-the box!

So I ordered the Knight Models' 35mm Harley Quinn from the Animated Series (35DC114). As with most KM products, buying sight unseen is no small risk: images I had seen of the mini were unacceptably rough. But I again lucked out: the casting was excellent! A little surface granularity, especially below the hips, but since the legs were to be removed, nothing to worry about.

So far, so good. . . There will be a bit of a detour to design and scratchbuild a jack-in-the-box, and execute all the required mods on a very reduced scale, but I am looking forward to it. . .

More to follow. . . 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment