17 November 2016

"Die Fledermaus"--Prepwork I

As is my wont, before I even thought of picking-up my sprue cutters, I spent about an hour close- ly examining the kit and dry-fitting to the extent allowed by sprues, nubs, etc. The only flaw I found was in the lowest fold on the front of the right leg: it appears as if a stray particulate found its way into the mold or the resin and ended-up in the casting. Most would not even notice, but I took a moment to dig it out and refill the resultant hole.

First step was to assemble the body: torso to legs. Careful clean-up--and critical dry-fitting--will result in a near-seamless join requiring no more than a quick swipe of epoxy-putty to make this perfect.

Next, I shifted my attention to the right arm. The fit on this is less than perfect--but only just. You can certainly fill the minute gap at any stage of assembly--pre- or post-paint--but I wanted a clean, unequivocal fit going in. This was easily achieved by shimming the edge of the cavity on the torso with a worm of MS, and pressing the lubricated arm in place. Clean-off the excess putty, fair the edges of the shim on the torso and set aside to cure. You may have to repeat the step depending on how assiduous you were, but the end result is a perfect, seamless join, spar- ing you the hardship of having to paint around the arm when painting the flight suit. Now you can paint the overalls, paint the gloves and the inside of the arm, attach the arm, and finish your overalls. Nothing could be simpler. . .

More to follow. . .    

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment