11 January 2017

YS Masterpieces' "Papaflessas" (HB-004; Bust) - Review and Prepwork I

Statement #1: I really do like the concept of this series.

Statement #2: I truly dislike the execution and the liberties taken with the historicity of the sub- jects--especially as source material is readily available!

Thus, as much as I would like to generously add to the one example I own, the options AFAIC are but one: YS Miniatures' fourth release in the series: HB-004 - HELLENIC REVOLUTIONARY FIGHTER & PRIEST (PAPAFLESSAS), sculpted by Carl Reid.

The piece is designed in 7 pieces, including the pedestal. As with Diakos, the casting itself is VG+++. Fit, on the other hand, is a different story altogether. Depending on your "standards"-- and your particular casting, be prepared to spend a considerable(!!!) amount of time fitting the left arm to the body.

Now, the "design" of the piece. This is your typical Carl Reid bust with a hollowed-out back(!). I have never understood this quirky trademark. . . I'll leave it at that. Otherwise, no real issues that a moderate amount of effort won't address to my satisfaction

The sculpture is based on the Tsokos portrait (1862) of the Archimandrite. While liberties were taken, they are mostly acceptable--except, speaking for myself, the headwear. When lack of research (or understanding) is egregiously passed off as "artistic license", the historical basis of our hobby is shaken to its very foundation, to say nothing of the implicit trust freely bestowed--whether sculptor, manufacturer, or painter!

Insofar as a refsheet or painting guide is concerned, there is none but a color copy featuring four images of the finished boxart by Danilo Cartacci.  

Finally--and I am definitely getting ahead of myself here, why have all the build-ups I have seen depict Papaflessas with a grey beard; i.e., aged? AFAIC, this is inexcusable! Flessas was but 37 when he died. One might argue that the stress of the conflict may have prematurely greyed him-- however, no depiction has him with anything but the colouration of a youthful adult.

So much for the review. . . 

With the considerable amount of benchtime to be demanded by this piece, there's no time like the present to get the ball rolling . . . 

First on the agenda is refitting the left arm. You can do this any number of ways: I opted for in- creasing the volume of the arm as opposed to that of the kaftan. With the leftover putty (I mixed a considerable amount), I roughed in the void of the back. That left me with about a thumbnail's worth, which I used to start reworking the headwear (more on this in a future posting). 
 
More to follow!

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment