24 May 2017

Mista' J - Painting IIA: The Vest--Brocade

Hard to believe that it has been over three weeks since I last slid behind the painting bench. Ad- mittedly, much has transpired; but still. . . 

To be honest, I did not expect to pick-up a brush until the "lusty month of May" (I'm a HUGE fan of Camelot. . . geez) was well behind me; but after last night's episode of Gotham and all the potential Easter eggs of the last few episodes, it was time to get back to Mista' J!

Warm-up session? I think not--do it or don't. So I dove right into the brocade, with the full palette of printers' inks--Pale Gold, Rich Gold, and Silver--and a selection of toning oils: Raw Umber; Naples Yellow; Chromatic and Mars Black; and Schmincke Mussini Casslerbraun.  

This was purely a visually driven, free-hand session, with the ultimate goal to create a discerni- ble, albeit "muted", pattern, and eliminate the dead space in a chromatically-pleasing manner on the left-half of the vest. I elected to do one half/session just in case the results required corrective measures. . .  Fortunately, I do not believe that will be necessary; though careful and controlled outlining, highlighting, and overall integration will be in order.

So far so good. I hope to finish the remaining half of the vest over the long weekend. Once that is done, I can pick-up where I left-off at the last posting and begin to work the face. . .

UPDATE 25.05.17. . . Phase 1 of the vest is now done; i.e., all the brocade has been applied. As I indicated above, careful and controlled outlining, highlighting, and overall integration will be in order. This will not be a stand-alone step, but will be addressed as perceived necessary in the course of painting the suit.

Having said that, the first integrative step has been completed on the left--dry--half of the vest: a thin glaze of Transparent Gold Ochre and Transparent Orange Oxide mixed to taste. This serves two purposes: 1) a muting agent; and 2) a tonal agent, shifting the hue from a bright yellow-gold to a Joker-esque orange-yellow.  

UPDATE 26.05.17. . . The vest is effectively DONE!!! Whatever might remain will be addressed as final tweaking during the finishing phase. Before moving on to the face, I will paint the shirt, and uc or re-prime the "string tie". . .

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment