01 June 2017

Mista' J - Painting IV: Let's face it. . .

IT'S ABOUT TIME!

The time had finally come to begin working on the face. To be honest, I have yet to see a painted Joker--save for the boxart--where the face met expectations. The sculpture is masterful. And my casting at least is well within expectations. In fact, as noted earlier, with a modicum of effort and diligence during prep, one couldn't ask for a better canvas! This is not the figure to take a cavalier attitude about that much-revered keystone of figure modelling: "It's all about the face". . . 

So. . . how best to approach the face? As you know I have already uc'd the hair: this sets the up- per "frame" of the face chromatically. Next, I tackled the defining mouth. I did this in acrylics as an under- and base-coat that I will later tweak with very controlled applications of thinned oils to suitably distress the teeth.

So far, I couldn't ask for more! Things will definitely get serious in the next step as I begin apply- ing the oils. . . 

Stay tuned!

UPDATE 02.06.17. . . The eyes and eyebrows have been blocked-in, as have the lips. Re: the latter, this was more at defining the shape and depth rather than finishing. I will hopefully be able to begin the "whiteface" in earnest by the end of the weekend. 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment