23 July 2017

Spock - Prepwork II

First things first. . . the distal portion of the left forearm has been removed; and the neck opening has been ground-out. 

In my introductory posting, I mentioned that, "This project will be the least prep-intensive of the four, and can be deemed a near-OOB undertaking." I also indicated that, "The proportions below the neck are somewhat "discordant", but there is very little that can be done about that."

Regarding the latter, I do not believe that the source of the problem was artistic; rather, the areas most afflicted--and the thinness of the medium!--suggest a production issue, namely shrinkage. The fit of the arms to the torso is very poor; and the depth of the chest is extremely shallow, vir- tually two-dimensional. This, in turn, makes the head and hands appear disproportionately over- sized.

What all this means is that I will be spending a not-inconsiderate amount of time reworking the torso, and the fit of the arms to the same. I have accomplished much in two sessions today, and I expect that I should be all-but-done within a fortnight. 

Stay tuned. . . 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment