10 September 2017

Jon Snow - Painting: Doublet & Mantle

I don't know when I might have a chance to settle comfortably at the bench again, so I decided this would be a painting weekend once the preparatory measures were taken care of. Irma is still over 24  hours away--maybe longer; but the uncertainties re: the velocity and expanse of the wind field, to say nothing of the track, makes this storm a poster child for the old saw: prepare for the worse; hope for the best. Our thoughts and prayers are with the residents of Florida--family, friends, and colleagues.

After doing some minor touch-ups on the face, I went straight to the leather doublet. This morning I painted the "under-doublet": the upper chest panel with the buckles. It actually went a lot quick- er and smoother than I had anticipated. Depending on the meteorological developments this after- noon, I may tackle the mantle and the main panel of the doublet ('plackart') after lunch.

Stay tuned! 

FOLLOW-UP. . . The doublet, including the cross-braces, is now DONE! As is the mantle. The latter will require revisiting once the oils have settled to achieve the tonal and chromatic variance 
I am looking for; but until that time, everything but the fur/hair, whether bovine or human, on the figure is well beyond Phase I Oils.

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment