17 February 2018

Life Miniatures' Che - The Watch

One of the most compelling features Life Miniatures' bust of Ernesto 'Che' Guevara is the watch prominently displayed on the subject's left wrist. Regrettably, there is no refsheet included with this kit. . . and the pdf available for download is no more enlightening. So here's a basic overview of the timepiece.

It might seem ironic, if not hypocritical, that two (three, if you include Mao Zedong) of the premier Communist revolutionaries of the second half of the 20th c. were Rolex devotees. Fidel Castro would wear one, usually two(!); and Fidel would bestow the timepieces to those he favored. Thus, Che Guevara would receive at least two in his lifetime from his Comandante en Jefe.

While the particulars of the first have eluded me (I believe it was an Oyster Perpetual Date 34), I know that the second was a GMT Master 1675 Pepsi. This is the watch depicted on the bust. As best as I can tell, I believe that Fidel presented Che with the timepiece in 1962 or 63--I stand to be corrected. In any case, Che received it before he departed Cuba in 1965.

And herein lies the rub. Che sported his flowing locks while in the field--by all accounts, he pre- ferred to wear his hair short at other times. All images of 'el Che' wearing the Rolex that I have seen have him with a shorter haircut. So rather than resculpt the masterfully rendered mane of the bust, I decided to grind-off the watch and replace it with a jacket cuff. 

If the watch is too good to lose--and you will get no argument from me if you decide to retain yours--as I mentioned above, it is a Rolex GMT Master "Pepsi".

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment