21 May 2019

The Night King - Prep: Groundwork I

In my introductory posting to this arc, I indicated that my iteration of the figure would be the Night King as he appeared in the GoT episode, "Hardhome" (S5ep8). With the lower half of the figure well on its way to completion and priming, the time has come to begin addressing the setting of the piece. . . 

23.05.2019--The pose I chose for the NK effectively limits the setting that can be used: he will be displayed on a section of pier. My initial concept was having the pier in water; however, when I began sketching the design of the groundwork, it was obvious that, given the approximate dimen- sions of the pier, the figure would be significantly overbased. I then decided to have the NK on a reduced section of pier: this would allow me to retain most of the structural interest without hav- ing to include the water. I will suggest the aquatic element of the vignette using varnish and acry- lic gel.

The pier will be scratchbuilt using basswood.

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment