14 October 2012

Knight Models' Darth Maul (KST004)

Let's face it, my run of good luck was bound to run dry when dealing with a company like Knight Models. . . At least it was the last piece I wanted for my SW collection--and given what I have found out in the last few days, the last piece I will ever buy from this manufacturer.

Enough of that. This is a superbly designed piece that captures near-perfectly the appearance of the Sith Lord at the time of his first encounter with Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn on the desert planet of Tatooine [NOTE: Maul would ignite but one blade of his saberstaff on Tatooine, hence what is depicted in this kit in canonically incorrect.]. Sculpted by the very talented KM' regular, Jérôme Renaud, it is a multi-media kit of 11 pieces (one in resin) + a small grainy-textured plinth to serve as groundwork. I would hasten to point out that my count might be off as I was shorted by (at least?) three pieces in my kit: both legs and the groundwork, as best as I can determine. I should point out that the separately-cast face (or half-head) is pristine, which might suggest that the production is being handled by someone not used to the larger (>50mm) scales. . .

So what of what I did get? As if receiving an incomplete kit wasn't bad enough, this kit harkens back to some of the earlier Marvel-series kits I've reviewed. The castings as a whole were pitted and very grainy: a considerable amount of time will be spent surface-finishing. Fit as a rule is compromised by heavy vents and sprues. There will be some reconstruction work to be done, as substandard, incompletely-filled castings were included in the kit. All in all, given the demands of this kit, this is one of the worst cast kits I have ever seen!!!

I was hoping to have this figure done by the year-end Holidays, but much will depend on how soon--if ever--I receive the replacement pieces: remember that the series has been discontinued by KM!

Updates as warranted. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment